West Hampden Baptist Church
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Statement of Faith
1. We believe that the Bible, in the original manuscripts, is the inspired Word of God, consisting of 66 books of the Old and New Testaments. We believe that it was written by God through the personalities of holy men; that it is absolutely trustworthy and has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct (II Timothy 3:16, 17; II Peter 1:20, 21). The English translation we use is the King James Version. It is a superior translation and a faithful rendering of the original languages. To avoid confusion and for the sake of uniformity, we use the King James Version in all teaching and preaching.
2. We believe in the trinity of the godhead: One God eternally existing in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19; II Corinthians 13:14; I John 5:7).
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, and is true God and true man (Matthew 1:18-25; Colossians 2:9).
4. We believe that man was created in the image of God; he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death, but also spiritual death, which is separation from God, and all human beings are born with a human, sinful nature (Romans 3:23; Genesis 1:27; Romans 5:12-19; Romans 6:23).
5. We believe that Jesus Christ was crucified for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a substitutionary sacrifice; and all who repent and receive Jesus Christ as Savior are justified by His shed blood (Romans 5:9; John 3:16; Galatians 1:4; I Corinthians 15:3; Hebrews 9:25-28; Luke 23:33; Acts 2:23).
6. We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit, and thereby become children of God (John 1:12,13; I Peter 1:23; Romans 8:14).
7. We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God's power and are thus secure in Christ forever (John 6:37-40; 10:27-30; Romans 8:1, 38, 39; I Corinthians 1:4-8; I Peter 1:5).
8. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ rose from the dead in a glorified body, that He ascended into Heaven, and that He lives in Heaven today, making intercession for the believer (John 20:19,20; Acts 1:9; Romans 8:34).
9. We believe that salvation is entirely and only by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ - that no work of any description can contribute in any way to our salvation (Ephesians 2:8,9).
10. We believe in the personal, imminent, pre-tribulation, premillennial return of the Lord Jesus Christ - first, to catch up unto Himself the Church, and then to return to the earth with His resurrected saints and establish His Millennial Kingdom after the seven-year Great Tribulation (Mark 13:32, 33; Acts 1:11; Romans 8:19-25; Titus 2:13; I Thessalonians 4:14-18; Jude 14; John 14:3; Revelation 5:9).
11. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost (Revelation 20:12-15; John 5:28, 29; Matthew 25:46; Daniel 12:2).
12. We believe in the one true Church, the Body of Christ, composed of all who have been born again through faith in Christ, and only of such. As members of the one body, all members are united together with the Head of the Body, Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 12:12, 13;Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 1:23; 4:25).
13. We believe that all the saved should live in a manner that does not bring reproach upon their Savior and Lord; and that separation from all religious apostasy, all worldly and sinful pleasures, practices, and associations is commanded by God (II Timothy 3:1-5; Romans 12:1, 2; 14:13; I John 2:15-17; II John 9-11; I Corinthians 6:14 - 7:1).
14. We believe the term “marriage” has only one meaning and that is marriage sanctioned by God which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as portrayed in Scripture (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:3-6).